Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Trip to Rome (part 1)


Less and less light illuminated the path. The sun was setting as we hurried past the ancient ruins of what once was one of the strongest empires. We passed the ruins that reminded me of the end of our second temple. With swiftness we raced the sun to reach the synagogue on isola tiberina.

In Rome it would appear that there are four active synagogues! The Jewish community in Rome is ~ 6-10 thousand members. As always a Chabad is present in the town (everywhere you go there is one). We called them up asking for food and were directed in the way of a nice American religious lady whose daughter was not very Italian looking. After services we had a wonderful home cooked meal and began our 45 minute trek back home. Walking along the river we thought it was very pretty; little did we know that the trip back would force us to take a pretty dreadful turn.

We eventually come across several cop cars. We eventually pass walls littered with graffiti. We eventually come to a gypsy trailer park camp and a gang of gypsies. I decided to go to the river and use the restroom when I suddenly fall down a cliff at the river's edge.

BOOM! I land. BOOM! A gun goes off and I lay there on my back with ripped pants and shirt.

"Okay, here's the end," I began to brood, "they will come running and shoot me along the path now..."

Well another shot comes and I hear people yelling. As such I start climbing and get back up to the street. Hurriedly, I call the people I was with and call friends to call them. I make it back and find a taxi with them. We thankfully make it back safely.

Amen! What an interesting shabbos night that was.

No comments: