Monday, June 18, 2007

Living Conditions


I suppose I am up for the hard job of writing about living conditions in Florence (for the American students on this trip). No one else has done so yet, but I feel for the future generations to come it is necessary.

Our apartment is humongous. 13 people also happen to live in it :-(. We have big rooms and our porch is humongous with an amazing view as shown in the next three photos. CET really outdid themselves with this set-up. Many people from the program joked that we were really on the real-life (or whatever the show is called).



As one can see we are a special bunch of people ;-). I wonder though what that Russian Church is doing in my backyard...

One should realize that in Italy there are no such things as dryers....
Proof is in the picture of me hang-drying my clothing:




Lately, we've been hanging out as a big group and going out together. It is sad to admit that whenever we go out, especially in a group, no one mistakes us as locals based on apparel alone.

Besides the living conditions the Jewish community in Florence is pretty tiny. Remarkably they have a kosher restaurant and a gorgeous shul. The services were pretty much the same as any other shul around the world with their own different minhagim and the Rabbi seemed very nice. The shul was built in the 19th century with clear influences. All paid for by this one Mr. Levy (banker with no children). They attempted to add a Moorish appearance to the facade as an attempt to make it more middle eastern looking.
I wonder if the community would accept a bunch of riff raff like me into the community!
(here is a link to a picture of the shul)
Also a picture of the generous David Levy whose money went to building the synagogue:
Interestingly it should be mentioned that he had no heirs, so the Jewish Kehilah (community) became his heir. I am certain this tradition continues today with many involved wealthy Jews.

No comments: