Tuesday, June 12, 2007

The Second Day: Saturday June 2nd (up to duomo)


Firstly, I hate Italian keyboards. They are very different from our nice American, everything is where it should be, keyboards. On a different note these posts are a way for my family to see pictures of me ---- that is the main reason I am keeping this blog (plus the fact that it is 15% of my grade).
ps. Click on the pictures to see the image larger...
p.s.s. These are the stories b'kitzur of my days in Italy and some of the interesting things that I see. They are not necessarily interesting because of the intellectual peculiarity of the objects, but rather they are interesting merely due to the conformed societal attractiveness.





We begin our trip with Randall around the city (interesting picture of AJ, Randall, Lauren and Ilana for various nuances and patterns found in the picture... boy, boy; yellow, yellow; up, down, up down; body position, body position, body position, etc.).
The trip was taken for them to get their SIM cards and I decided to tag along. Unfortunately they are too slow to cross a street.



Upon further travel into the heart of the city we found what has taken over the world. Corporations and fast food.





Eventually we end up near the Duomo and I take out my camera permanently...






The duomo located in Florence, aka the Basilica di Santa Maria del Fiore, is truly an accomplishment that reveals sparks of genius that the Renaissance inspired. The dome was successfully designed by Brunelleschi after competition with others on designs for a standing dome. His dome has a smaller dome within a dome that would give the structural support. The dome work began in 1420 and was completed in 1436. Brunelleschi's work on the dome was influenced by the Pantheon that we eventually will get to see.

The rest of the Cathedral was designed by Arnolfo di Cambio (same guy for Santa Croce) and I must attest that the Cathedral is wonderful piece of work.

This Christian city spent money, over the course of about a 150 years, to make a communal house for god. Something that American society cannot nor would ever do. It's interesting to see that only a couple of hundred years ago people were drastically different from today's secular world and very religiously oriented, changes that I hope are for the better (and would surmise are to an extent... everything in moderation - right?). (The other pictures are of the ancient basilica opposite the duomo... nice interesting doors, but more for later!)


That was basically the first day... after that we saw the ponte vecchio and later when I got back I passed out from walking so much. The end!












I should also comment that I went to services and then chabad lunch. Jews are welcoming everywhere.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

First of all, I am sure the purpose of this study abroad trip was for you to expland your horizons, which clearly hasn't been working. :-o
;)
you mention that you hate italian keyboards and you miss the "nice american" ones because everything is in its right place".... WELL the reality check of study abroad was meant to teach you that the "right place" is only a realtive an subjective matter. when italians come to the states, they're thikning the same thing you thought, except the other way around...
sssooo LEARN a little!!! ;)

just kidding... you know i'm shookhi-ing